If you’re considering a new thermostat for your home, consider the benefits of a programmable thermostat. Going beyond simple temperature control, a programmable thermostat gives you the flexibility to plan your household climate according to your weekly routine, which means you’ll no longer have to heat or cool an empty home. By reducing energy consumption while you’re out of the home, you’ll also reduce your energy costs.
Today’s programmable thermostats come with a host of extra features, but the most essential consideration is your family routine.
- If your family enjoys a typical Monday through Friday work week followed by a weekend of relaxation in the home, the 5+2-day model offers the option of programming separate settings for your 5-day work week and your weekend.
- If you require a little more flexibility on your weekend, the 5+1+1 model gives you the option of programming your 5-day workweek, with separate settings for Saturdays and Sundays.
- Finally, if your schedule is a little more varied, the 7-day model offers separate programming capabilities for each day of the week.
Once you’ve determined the appropriate model for your family routine, consider these additional features.
- Humidity sensors give you the ability to monitor moisture levels in your home. This can be beneficial in preventing excess moisture buildup that can lead to the growth of mold, which can be detrimental to your family’s health and your home’s structural integrity.
- Zoned temperature control provides maximum climate control, using multiple thermostats to control the distribution of conditioned air to different sections of your home.
- Off-site access allows for programming on the fly, using the telephone or Internet to access your thermostat.
- Reminders are a helpful feature for those of us who may not immediately remember that monthly air filter inspection.
- Some models even allow you to monitor the temperature outside of your home.
No matter which model or additional features you choose, a programmable thermostat is a valuable addition to your home HVAC system. For more information on how a programmable thermostat can help you reduce your long-term heating and cooling bills, contact Around the Clock Air Conditioning and Heating today for an expert consultation.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.