Over the course of a typical heating or cooling season, your HVAC system works hard to keep your home comfortable in response to outside temperatures. In return, you can keep your heating or cooling system running better, longer and more efficiently by scheduling annual professional maintenance.
A neglected furnace or air conditioner is one that is more likely to break down when it’s most needed. That is why it is critically important to make sure the system is inspected and maintained at least once a year. A well-maintained HVAC system operates more efficiently, reducing fuel usage and saving money on your utility bills. Annual maintenance allows you to catch small problems and fix them before they become serious issues. If your system is maintained in top shape, you’ll know it can be relied on to work when seasonal temperatures are extreme and you need it most.
You can do things such as change filters yourself. During an annual service call, your HVAC technician will:
- Check fuel connections and pressure
- Inspect and adjust burners
- Clean combustion chambers
- Calibrate thermostat
- Tighten belts
- Lubricate fans, motors, and moving parts
- Check and clean condensate drain
- Inspect wiring and tighten electrical connections
- Check and calibrate limit controls
- Check unit amperage
- Inspect heat exchanger for cracks or holes that could release carbon monoxide
- Inspect flue pipe and exhaust/venting systems
- Test for carbon monoxide
- Check and fill refrigerant as needed
- Check for refrigerant leaks
- Inspect and seal ducts against air and energy leaks
- Measure and adjust air flow through evaporator coil
- Inspect, clean, and tighten electric connections and terminals
- Oil motors and moving parts
- Check belts to make sure they are tight and undamaged
- Check accuracy of and calibrate thermostat
- Verify and adjust electric control sequences
Around the Clock Air Conditioning and Heating , Inc. has been a trusted source of residential and commercial HVAC service since 1967. We serve customers in Los Angeles and surrounding areas, including Pasadena, Glendale and Santa Monica. Contact us todayfor answers to your questions about annual service or to schedule a professional maintenance visit at your home.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about annual service and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Calendar image via Shutterstock