It is essential that your heat pump cools properly during the hot summer months if you want to maintain acceptable comfort levels in your home. If your heat pump falters and won’t cool your home, it is important to repair the problem as quickly as possible. When the heat pump falters the cause can be due to various factors, and some of the possible problem areas are listed below.
Possible causes for a heat pump that won’t cool
- Check the power – make sure that the heat pump is receiving power and check the fuse or breaker box if it is not receiving power. If the power supply to the heat pump is constantly interrupted, there may be a problem with the electrical wiring, and you should contact an electrician for assistance.
- Check the thermostat – if the thermostat is not working properly it may cause the heat pump to malfunction. Change the batteries in a battery-operated thermostat and test it again. If the thermostat is still not working you may need to replace it.
- Check the filter – your heat pump will not work correctly if the filter is dirty. Filters should be checked monthly and replaced if needed.
- Check the settings – make sure that the thermostat is turned to cooling and set on automatic.
- Check if the heat pump is defrosting – some settings may prevent your heat pump from defrosting properly, and you can defrost the heat pump by running it on the fan only setting for a couple of hours.
It is important to contact your local HVAC professional for help if you are unable to determine the cause of the problem. Preventative maintenance conducted by a qualified contractor on an annual basis will prolong the lifetime of your heat pump and will help to reduce breakdowns.
For more information and expert advice for when your heat pump falters and other issues related to home comfort, please contact Around the Clock A/C and Heating. We have been serving the Los Angeles community since 1967.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Los Angeles, North Hollywood and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pumps and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Bildagentur-Zoonar-GmbH/Shutterstock”