There’s no doubt that home energy efficiency equals long-term energy savings. Unfortunately, most homeowners are plagued by various energy-draining issues that with some simple adjustments could be easily eliminated. One proven method of increasing energy efficiency and long-term energy savings is the process of duct sealing.
Consider the facts.
- The U.S. Department of Energy reports that some 75 percent of U.S. homeowners are affected by leaks in their ductwork.
- An estimated 20 percent of conditioned air generated by forced-air heating and cooling systems ends up wasted due to leaky ductwork with poorly-sealed connections.
- This additional strain on your system not only leads to higher heating and cooling bills, but it also it shortens the potential lifespan of your HVAC components.
If you’re concerned that your ducts may be leaking but aren’t sure what to look out for, here are some potential warning signs:
- Unreasonable increases in heating and cooling costs during the peak of the season
- Inadequate temperature control from room to room
- Uncomfortable rooms that seem to strain breathing
- Unusual odors in conditioned air
- Tangled ductwork
As some of the ductwork in your home will be easily accessible, you may be able to determine the source of air leaks and address them on your own. Do-it-yourself duct sealing can be applied in crawlspaces, basements, attics and garages, using duct sealant or mastic. Adding insulation can also improve the efficiency of your ductwork and increase energy savings over the long term.
Of course, not all of your ductwork will be accessible without professional assistance. For the most accurate assessment and duct sealing service available, you should always consult a professional.
At Around the Clock Air Conditioning and Heating, our goal is to keep the homes of our customers fresh, clean and comfortable for years to come. If you’re experiencing the uncomfortable symptoms of leaky ductwork, don’t hesitate to contact us for more information. Our trained technicians can thoroughly assess your unique situation and determine if duct sealing is the most appropriate solution for your household. Call us today for an expert consultation.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.