Are you ready to hire an HVAC contractor? There are so many contractors out there — make sure you’re selecting the best one for the job. Here are 10 tips to help you find an experienced and trustworthy cooling and heating contractor.
- Seek out recommendations. Your family and friends are a great resource. Can they recommend a friendly contractor who finishes projects on time and on budget?
- Check references. The HVAC company should be willing to provide references of past clients. Don’t hesitate to contact the references and ask them about the work.
- Verify licensing, insurance, and credentials. The company and its technicians must have the proper licensing needed to work on your HVAC equipment. Even better, have they completed professional training, testing, and certification such as that offered by NATE? Are they knowledgeable about Energy Star-qualified products? Do they carry adequate insurance?
- Can the company perform all required job tasks? For example, if the job involves plumbing or electrical work, can the company complete it?
- Does the company have a high level of integrity? How long have they been in business? Do they belong to professional, trade, or community organizations? Have they received industry awards?
- Are special offers available? You may want to select a company that offers discounts, specials, or extended warranties.
- Seek annual maintenance. The company should offer an annual HVAC tune-up service — preventative maintenance is a valuable investment.
- Interview potential contractors. Interview your two or three favorite companies and ask them any questions you might have.
- Request a home evaluation. Before beginning any work, the contractor should carefully evaluate your home for its exact HVAC needs.
- Get quotes in writing. This is an important step. Compare quotes, read the fine print, and obtain signatures.
Choosing the right HVAC contractor takes time. At Around the Clock Air Conditioning and Heating, we believe we have the right experience and expertise for your job. Allow us to explain our qualifications — we offer free estimates and free in-home visits. If you’d like to learn more, please contact us. We proudly serve Southern California from offices in North Hollywood and Los Angeles.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.