Allergy triggers often occur when a home experiences poor indoor air quality. This happens most during the spring, when Los Angeles’s allergy season reaches its peak and many outdoor assailants get tracked inside. If you or one of your family members suffers from runny nose and/or itchy eyes, consider these helpful tips for getting rid of the nasty allergy triggers:
- Installing a germicidal light in the HVAC system. UV light systems excel at reducing bacteria, mold and virus growth. They work to purify your home’s air as it gets conditioned and before it’s return to your home’s various living spaces.
- Clean or replace air filters every month. If you or your family members are prone to allergies, then the old three-month change rule doesn’t apply to you. You’ll want to stay on top of a clean air filter to get rid of airborne irritants as soon as they infect your home.
- Clean your A/C coils. Dirty coils can impact your air environment and the working efficiency of your home’s equipment. Be sure these are kept regularly clean for improved air quality and energy-efficiency.
- Use a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers come in both portable room units and can be installed as a whole-house system. Either way, they work to remove the excess moisture in the air around them. Reducing and balancing home humidity is critical to controlling mold and keeping seasonal allergies at a minimum.
- Dust with microfiber cloths. Microfiber cloths are superior to run-of-the-mill dust cloths, which simply move dust and dirt around. Microfiber cloths trap undesirable particles and allow you to remove them from your home through a washing machine cycle. A great cleaning strategy is to begin cleaning dusty and allergy-hotspot areas from high to low, and finish with a thorough vacuuming.
- Keep windows shut after sunset. Spring and fall temperatures in Los Angeles can often be perfect for open windows. But leaving them open for prolonged periods of time increases the amount of allergy triggers, such as pollen, coming into your home.
To learn more about allergy triggers, contact local experts at Around the Clock Air Conditioning and Heating, Inc.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Los Angeles, North Hollywood and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about allergies and other HVAC topics, downloadour free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Piotr Marcinski/Shutterstock”