Every home has potential air quality concerns and minuscule pollutants can easily create health concerns and make your home uncomfortable. It is important to install efficient air cleaning solutions in your home to combat dust, bacteria, mold and viruses. We are going to have a look at three types of pollutants and air cleaning solutions.
Three Types of Pollutants
- Particles – dust, pollen and pet dander that are smaller than 100 microns in diameter can pollute the air inside your home. Small particles that can be inhaled cause the biggest problems and they can lead to respiratory illnesses.
- Microorganisms – these are microscopic living organisms that love warm and humid places. Viruses, bacteria and dust mites are just some of the microorganisms that you will encounter in your home.
- Odors and vapors – these are gaseous contaminants and they include cooking smells, paint vapors and carbon monoxide.
Three Types of Air Cleaning Solutions
- Mechanical – mechanical air filters clean the air inside your home by capturing particles on filter materials. They can effectively remove larger airborne particles from the air.
- Electronic – electronic air cleaners remove pollutants by giving particles a charge so that they can settle faster. The disadvantage is that some electronic air cleaners produce ozone and it is a lung irritant.
- Gas-phase – gas-phase air filters remove gaseous pollutants from the air through the use of a material to absorb pollutants. The disadvantage of a gas-phase air filter is that it will only remove the pollutants that it has been designed for and will not remove all types of pollutants..
There are portable as well as whole house versions of some of the above air cleaning solutions available on the market. Depending on the nature of the pollutants that you want to remove from the air, you may need to use a combination of air cleaning solutions.
For more information and expert advice about air cleaning filters and other HVAC issues related to home comfort, please contact Around the Clock A/C and Heating. We have been serving the Los Angeles community since 1967.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Los Angeles, North Hollywood and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air cleaning solutions and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Dalibor-Zivotic/Shutterstock”